The Institute of Computer Science is organized in the following six departments which contain several research groups:
- Computer Science I - Theoretical Informatics and Formal Methods
- Computer Science II - Computer Graphics and Computer Animation
- Computer Science III - Databases and Information Systems, Software Technology, Image Processing and Pattern Recognition, Artificial Intelligence and Robotics
- Computer Science IV - Communication and Networked Systems
- Computer Science V - Algorithms and Distributed Systems
- Computer Science VI - Autonomous Intelligent Systems and Technical Computer Science
See also the complete list of all research groups.